The church council provides for planning and implementing a program of nurture, outreach, witness, and resources in the local church. It also provides for the administration of its organization and temporal life. It envisions, plans, implements, and annually evaluates the mission and ministry of the church. The church council is amenable to and function as the administrative agency of the charge conference.
Mission and Ministry
Nurture, outreach, and witness ministries and their accompanying responsibilities include: a) The nurturing ministries of the congregation shall give attention to but not be limited to education, worship, Christian formation, membership care, small groups, and stewardship. Attention must be given to the needs of individuals and families of all ages.
- The nurturing ministries of the congregation are given attention to but not be limited to education, worship, Christian formation, membership care, small groups, and stewardship. Attention must be given to the needs of individuals and families of all ages.
- The outreach ministries of the church are given attention to local and larger community ministries of compassion, justice, and advocacy. These ministries include church and society, global ministries, higher education and campus ministry, health and welfare, Christian unity and interreligious concerns, religion and race, and the status and role of women.
- The witness ministries of the church are given attention to developing and strengthening evangelistic efforts of sharing of personal and congregational stories of Christian experience, faith, and service; communications; Lay Servant Ministries; and other means that give expressions of witness for Jesus Christ.
- The leadership development and resourcing ministries are given attention to the ongoing preparation and development of lay and clergy leaders for the ministry of the church (¶ 258.1).
- The nurture, outreach, and witness ministries and their accompanying responsibilities include consideration of (i) the election of a prayer coordinator to promote prayer and mobilize the local church to pray, (ii) establishing a prayer room or designated place for prayer and prayer resources, and (iii) encouraging intentional prayer for the pastoral leadership of the local church.
The council meets on odd numbered months. The chairperson or the pastor may also call special meetings.
It is also the responsibility of the church council to:
- review the membership of the local church;
- fill interim vacancies occurring among the lay officers of the church between sessions of the annual charge conference;
- establish the budget on recommendation of the committee on finance and ensure adequate provision for the financial needs of the church;
- recommend to the charge conference the salary and other remuneration of the pastor(s) and staff members after receiving recommendations from the committee on pastor-parish relations (staff-parish relations);
- review the recommendation of the committee on pastor-parish relations regarding provision of adequate housing for the pastor(s), and report the same to the charge conference for approval. Housing provisions shall comply with the annual conference housing policy and parsonage standards. Housing shall not be considered as part of compensation or remuneration except to the extent provided for in denominational pension and benefit plans.